• +353 (0)41 98 30190
  • info@droghedaunited.ie

Match Report: Dundalk F.C 1 – 0 Drogheda United

A first half Daniel Cleary header handed Dundalk the victory in a competitive Louth Derby at Oriel Park on Friday night. 

It was Dundalk who created the first chance of the game as Oduwa crossed from the left, finding Hoban but he headed wide of the Ross Treacy’s far post.

The home side hit the front on ten minutes as Stefan Colovic’s corner was met by Daniel Cleary who fired his header past Treacy.

Tim Clancy’s side grew into the game following the goal, with Mark Doyle heading over the bar from a Jake Hyland corner.

Colovic then worked a chance well for Dundalk but his strike took a deflection, and Treacy saved well low to his right.

Chris Lyons then had the first of two chances for Drogheda, the first from a free, around thirty yards out. 

Lyons hit the free low under the wall, clipping a Dundalk foot on the way through, and dragging the ball narrowly wide of Gary Rogers near post.

Two minutes later, Drogheda countered from a Dundalk chance, with Doyle playing in Lyons on the left. The forward beat his man on the outside but his strike was parried around the post by Rogers.

Five minutes into the second half, John Mountney worked the wall down the left, cutting it back for Colovic, who finished past Treacy but was flagged for offside.

Tim Clancy then made 8 changes on the hour mark, including awarding a first senior appearance to U19 player Killian Phillips.

One of those substitutes, Adam Wixted, found space, cut in from the right wing but dragged his shot wide of the near post. 

Oduwa’s influence grew in the last half hour of the game, as he squared the ball to substitute Josh Gatt who fired his effort well over the bar.

The winger’s cross then almost found the top corner, but his cross-turned-shot curled just wide of the far post.

Treacy denied Gatt two minutes later as Dundalk piled on the pressure, with Georgie Kelly’s rebound flagged for offside.

The former Dundalk keeper produced a fine save in the closing stages as Oduwa curled an effort towards the far corner after a mazy run, only to be denied by the fingertips of Treacy.

Dundalk: Gary Rogers; Cameron Dummigan, Daniel Cleary (Andrew Quinn), Andy Boyle (Dane Massey), Darragh Leahy; Chris Shields (C) (Taner Dogan), Will Patching (Daniel Kelly); John Mountney (Sean Gannon), Stefan Colovic (Josh Gatt), Nathan Oduwa; Patrick Hoban (Georgie Kelly).

Subs Not Used: Aaron McCarey (GK), Jimmy Corcoran (GK).

Drogheda United: Ross Treacy; James Brown, Hugh Douglas (Derek Prendergast HT’), Jack Tuite, Conor Kane;  Luke Heeney, Jake Hyland (C); Jordan Adeyemo, Mark Doyle, Brandon Bermingham; Chris Lyons.

Team after 60 minutes: Ross Treacy; Jack Tuite, Killian Phillips, Derek Prendergast, Ryan O’Shea; Mark Hughes, Richie O’Farrell; Adam Wixted, Sean Brennan, James Clarke, Stephen Meaney.

Subs Not Used: Luca Gratzer (GK), David Odumosu (GK), Frank Cabraley, Kevin Mohammed.

Referee: Derek Tomney.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email
  • +353 (0)41 98 30190
  • info@droghedaunited.ie
  • United Park, Windmill Road, Drogheda, A92 F98X


  • Home
  • News
  • 1st Team
  • Partners
  • History


  • Matchday
  • Ticketing
  • Privacy
  • Cookies
  • Terms of Use