Whilst Premier Division football may be the focus for us on the pitch for the coming 2021 Premier Division campaign, off the pitch we have been working hard behind the scenes and are delighted to launch our wellbeing initiatives for schools, club’s and community groups with the aim of promoting good Mental and Physical Health throughout the town.
Community Development Officer Barry Sanfey is rolling out a series of programmes that for now will take place remotely via Online Platforms, but with a long term view of adapting back to in-person participation in accordance with Public Health Guidelines. The club is focusing on schools and children with these particular programmes offering youth in the area a chance to exercise and engage with players, contribute to club projects and hopefully feel involved and appreciated.
Speaking on the launch, Barry gave a breakdown of where this idea originated from and the drive behind the launch;
“In what has been a very uncertain and worrying year for us all in some way or another, everybody from schoolchildren right through to our more mature members of the community have been impacted in some shape. The health of our community is of priority now more than ever and we at Drogheda United want to play our part in promoting positive wellbeing both physically and mentally”.
“We are a very community driven club and along with our General Manger John Matthews and our Community Liaison Joanna Byrne, we as a team, are enthusiastic about delivering projects like this and engaging with the community.”
The wellbeing programmes are listed below and any school/leader/community group with an interest in availing of these are asked to contact Barry directly on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wellbeing through Exercise – Exercise classes and plans to ensure participants stay fit & healthy.
- Wellbeing through Talking – Q&A with a 1st team player where they discuss the importance of school, the life of a footballer and answers questions from the students.
- Wellbeing through Colouring – Design our jersey for 2022. Designs will be shared on social media and in match day programmes. The best design wins a prize of two season tickets for the 2022 campaign.
- Wellbeing through Teamwork – We hope to move to a new stadium at some point in the future. Breaking into groups, can you work as a team to design a stadium fit for Drogheda United and the wider community.
- Wellbeing through Leadership – Where the student becomes the boss. Design training drills, pick the team and the formation. Take ownership of the squad and make the tough decisions that all managers have to make.
Drogheda United – Your Club | Our Community