At the end of a very difficult year for everyone, it’s important to be grateful for one shining light of positivity – our club. So, I want to say thank you to:
- the volunteers who kept Drogheda United alive
- the businesses and sponsors that have backed us when they could have walked away
- the supporters who never waivered in supporting us
- Tim, Kevin and all the coaching staff across all our teams who worked so hard in challenging circumstances
- and finally, thank you to the players who brought us so much happiness and the silverware and success we have craved for many years.
We are a big family at Drogheda United and we have all stuck together in 2020.
Whilst it does not look like we will have supporters in United Park for the start of next season, we hope to welcome you back later this year when vaccines have been widely rolled out. In the meantime, you will be able to watch us through streaming solutions currently being agreed with the FAI.
On an optimistic note, we are all genuinely excited by the squad that Tim has assembled – the bulk of the squad that got us promoted and some experienced and exceptionally talented new players. Most importantly, having spoken to and met many of these new players, I can assure you that they are all positive characters who will fit in well at the club. Many are joining because we are building a good reputation around the league of having a progressive management team both on and off the pitch. With that in mind, I want to say a big thanks, in particular, to John Matthews, our General Manager, who has been one of our best signings in years! There are so many others to thank from our Finance team, Social media team, Community team, Kit Team, Groundstaff, Academy etc. A fantastic effort by all.
Whilst this may be a difficult Christmas for many, this club will still be there for you in 2021 and hopefully we can continue to be a force for good in the community.
Finally, we have lost many supporters this year, often to Covid, and we will remember them and their families during Christmas.
My best wishes for a safe and peaceful festive season.